Remembering the Litten
School demolished, but Kingsclere will remember
from the local paper (probably Newbury Weekly News) late 1978
The Litten School, Kingsclere, which was built in 1861, has just become a heap of rubble. After preserving the tiles and bricks fro re-sale, the bulldozer has been in and near the site of four classrooms, stands a heap of rubble.
There has been much controversy as to whether the building should have remained and be incorporated into the health centre which the Hampshire regional Health Authority is to build. Residents were divided on the issue and some people have said they did not realise it was the old Litten School building which was to be demolished, but thought it was just the temporary classrooms.
The rooms were cold but it was a solid building and the timbers from the floor were as good as when the school was built. The Horsa block was built in 1947 and was used for science and woodwork. When the foundations were dug out human bones were found.
Five years later the Medway block was erected at a cost of £5000 for two wooden rooms and it was built on the site of the old jumping pit. The old kitchen and domestic science rooms, which were both wooden buildings, were built during the 1939 to 1945 war and were used as a school dining hall.
Some of the bricks and flints from the Litten School are to be used at Clere School. The Clere are hoping to build a memorial to the Litten, probably a sundial, when the building is complete and has been landscaped.
The Litten became a senior school in 1924 and later a secondary modern before moving to Burghclere. Even though the building has been bulldozed to make way for the health centre's car park, the memory of the school lives on and a painting of the Litten in 1950 hangs in Kingsclere Primary School. This was painted by Mr Edward Dredge.